Amazon Firestick is the best cord-cutter for all your entertainment. It will convert your normal TV into a smart TV as it delivers titles over the internet and not traditional cables. Firestick is the one-stop destination to install thousands of apps, watch movies, tv shows, play music and games. You can take the Firestick wherever you go and connect it to any TV with an HDMI port. Then, use the Alexa remote to control your TV with your own voice. While there are hundreds of apps available, you will learn about the installation and setup procedure of Plex on a Firestick here.
What is Plex
Plex is a media platform where you can stream 180+ live TV channels, movies, and TV shows. In addition, it is a client-server service, and you can instantly access media files stored on any device. You can binge favorite on-demand shows from the top brands like Crackle, Paramount, AMC, Magnolia, Relativity, and Lionsgate. It is all that you need to watch daily stories and the latest news using Newsy, USA Today, Euronews, Reuters TV, and People TV. Additionally, you can search movies in several genres such as action, anime, horror, drama, comedy, documentaries, and much more.
Make sure to sign up for a Plex account using the Silk Brower on Firestick. Plex users can opt for the Plex Pass subscription during the signup for premium features. It supports features live TV, DVR, mobile sync, photo tagging, and more.
- Month Plan: $4.99
- Yearly Plan: $39.99
- Lifetime Plan: $119.99
How to Install Plex on Firestick
Here is a quick guide for installing Plex app on a Firestick.
(1) Initially, power on a Firestick and connect it to the internet.
(2) Using a Firestick remote, press the Home button to access the main screen.
(3) Then, click on the Find tab and choose the Search option.
(4) Enter PLEX on the field and search for it.
(5) Hit the Plex icon under the Apps & Games section.
(6) The app description window appears. Click on the Get option to install Plex.
(7) Once it gets done, click Open to launch the Plex app.
Related: How to Install Kodi on Firestick / Fire TV [Best Method]
Alternative Way: How to Download (Sideload) Plex on Firestick
As the Plex app is not available in some countries, it can be sideloaded using a third-party app, Downloader. Before sideloading an app on Firestick, you need to modify some settings in your Firestick. Proceed with the below instructions to do it.
(1) On your Firestick remote, tap on the Home button.
(2) If the home screen appears, click on the Find tab and select the Search option.
(3) Search for the Downloader and install it.
(4) Go back to the home screen and click on Settings.
(5) Choose My Fire TV from the list.
(6) Next, click on Developer Options.
(7) Click on Install Unknown Apps that appear on the screen.
(8) Finally, toggle the Downloader to allow access for installing unknown apps.
Steps to Sideload Plex using Downloader
(1) Firstly, launch the Downloader app from the Apps section of your Fire TV home screen.
(2) Tap on the Home tab from the left pane.
(3) Enter the download link of the Plex apk in the URL field and hit on the Go option.
(4) Plex apk file will get downloaded within a few seconds.
(5) Once completed, click on the downloaded file and tap on Install.
(6) After a few seconds, the Plex app gets added to your Fire TV.
(7) If the pop-up appears to delete the apk, click on the delete option.
Related: How to Install and Use Stremio on Firestick in 5 Minutes
Why Need VPN on Firestick
VPN is the safest mode to encrypt your web traffic and send it through an encrypted tunnel. It helps to unblock geo-restricted websites and apps and provides instant access from any location. Further, it hides your IP address and keeps your data and privacy safe from viruses, cyber attackers, and spoofers. Hence, it should be installed on your Firestick to enhance security and access third-party apps.
Guidelines to Set up and Use Plex on Firestick
(1) Once the installation is done, navigate to the Apps and Channels section.
(2) Locate the Plex on Firestick 4K. Alternatively, you can hold the Home button on your remote for a few seconds and choose Apps to see the list of installed applications. Then, open the Plex app and proceed with the steps.
(3) Follow the on-screen instructions and click Sign-in to continue.
(4) Once you log in, you will get a code.
(5) Go to plex.tv/link from any browser, enter the code, and tap Link.
(6) Once it gets verified, an Account Linked pop-up will appear on the screen.
(7) Go back to your Firestick screen and click on Not Now if you wish to opt out for premium plans.
(8) On the next screen, click on the Continue option.
(9) The home page of the Plex app on Firestikck appears, and now you can stream contents online.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Is Plex free on Firestick?
Plex is free on major devices such as Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Windows & macOS computers, and game consoles.
2) Is Plex illegal?
No. Plex is perfectly legal to use and share files on any device.