Chromecast is a streaming device developed by Google which allows you to cast all kinds of media content to your TV or monitor from any supported device. You have to connect the Chromecast device to the USB port of your Android TV to stream the media contents. The device works with the internet. Chromecast fulfills the dream of watching your favorite movies and TV shows and more on the big screen. Further, it is a budget-friendly streaming device. And you will find lots of streaming apps compatible with Chromecast streaming devices. VLC is also one of the apps that is compatible with Chromecast. In this article, you shall learn to cast VLC to Chromecast.
What is VLC?
VLC aka VideoLAN Client is an open-source media player that helps you to play all types of video files. It supports many audio and video compression methods and file formats. VLC is highly customizable and expandable via plugins. It is available on desktop operating systems and mobile platforms. On this media player, you can search for album covers and the playlist allows for multiple films to play one after another. Yet, VLC is also compatible with Chromecast. Now let us look into the procedure to cast VLC to Chromecast.
Related: How to Download and Install VLC Player on Firestick
How to Cast VLC to Chromecast?
There are two ways to cast VLC to Chromecast.
- From Desktop
- From Smartphone
- Using Google Chrome
Guidelines to Cast VLC to Chromecast from Desktop
Make sure that your PC has VLC 3.0 and above versions to cast to Chromecast.
 Ensure that your Windows PC and Chromecast are connected to the same Wifi network.
 Launch the VLC media player on your PC.
 From the top panel click on Playback and select Renderer.
 On the pop-up that appears, select the Chromecast device.
 Now, the media player will stream on your TV. Then, select and play the video that you want to watch.
 In case if you are getting a warning message, click on View Certificate and click Accept Permanently to cast the video.
 If you want to stop casting, go to Playback–>Renderer and click on <Local>.
Note: If you don’t find the Chromecast device, go to Tools–>Preferences–> Reset Preferences.
Guidelines to Cast VLC to Chromecast from Android and iOS
The VLC app on Android and iOS has the Cast icon, so it is very easy to cast VLC from your Smartphone.
1. Connect your Android/iOS and Chromecast to the same Wifi network.
2. Install VLC app from Android (Play Store) and iOS (App Store).
3. Select and play the video that you want to watch.
4. Click the Cast icon from the top right corner of the screen.
5. Select the Chromecast device and the video will stream on the Chromecast-connected TV.
6. The video will stop casting automatically when you go back to the home screen of VLC.
Guidelines to Cast VLC to Chromecast from Google Chrome
If you have an old version of VLC or if the above given methods are not working, you can use Google Chrome to cast the video from VLC.
1. Launch Google Chrome and Right-click anywhere on the screen.
2. In that select Cast icon.
3. Click the Sources and select the Cast Desktop.
4. Proceed with selecting your Chromecast device.
5. Now, the PC screen will be mirrored on your TV.
6. Then, launch the VLC media player and stream the video that you want.
Problems While Casting: Best Fixes
- If you have connected VPN for Firestick service, disconnect it.
- Update the VLC app to the latest version.
- Ensure that you have connected the both devices to the same Wifi network.
- Change the conversion quality.
- Check the battery of your PC and Smartphone
VLC is one of the most popular media players that is used to watch various media content. And it supports mostly all the file formats. The above-listed methods will help you cast VLC to Chromecast easily. If you face any other problems, do let us know in the comments section.
Also read How To Install LocalCast on Firestick / Fire TV to Cast Contents
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use VLC to stream to my TV?
VLC is available on Android and iOS with in-built casting support. So you can easily stream VLC to your TV.
Why is VLC not casting to Chromecast on Windows?
On Windows, you should have VLC 3.0 version to cast to Chromecast.